IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program for International Students 2019 is on for who have an interest in solving problems that are important to IBM and fundamental to innovation in many areas of study. Fellows may work at internships, and be matched with IBM mentors with common research interests.
The IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program is an intensely competitive worldwide program, which honours exceptional PhD students who have an interest in solving problems that are important to IBM and fundamental to innovation in many academic disciplines and areas of study.
This includes pioneering work in: cognitive computing and augmented intelligence; quantum computing; blockchain; data-centric systems; advanced analytics; security; radical cloud innovation; next-generation silicon (and beyond); and brain-inspired devices and infrastructure.
IBM brings together hundreds of researchers who possess deep industry expertise across domains. Collaborating with clients in the field and in its global THINKLab network, IBM addresses some of the most challenging problems and creates disruptive technologies that hold the potential to transform companies, industries and the world at large.
IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Description:
- Application Deadline: 25th October 2018
- Offered annually? Yes
- Type: Fellowship
- Eligible Countries: International
- To be taken at (country): Fellowships vary by country/geographic area
- Fields of Study: The academic disciplines and areas of study include: computer science and engineering, electrical and mechanical engineering, physical sciences (including chemistry, material sciences, and physics), mathematical sciences (including big data analytics, operations research, and optimization), public sector and business sciences (including urban policy and analytics, social technologies, learning systems and cognitive computing), and Service Science, Management, and Engineering (SSME), and industry solutions (healthcare, life sciences, education, energy & environment, retail and financial services).
Focus areas include the following topics of particular interest:
- AI / Cognitive Computing
- Cloud Computing
- Data Science / Big Data / Analytics
- Internet of things
- Quantum Computing
IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Eligibility:
- Students must be nominated by a doctoral faculty member and enrolled full-time in a college or university PhD program. The faculty member is encouraged to contact an IBM colleague prior to submitting the nomination to assure mutual interest.
- Students from Europe and Russia may be nominated in their first year of study in their doctoral program.
- Outside of Europe and Russia, students must have completed at least one year of study in their doctoral program at the time of their nomination.
- Students from U.S. embargoed countries are not eligible for the program.
- Award Recipients will be selected based on their overall potential for research excellence, the degree to which their technical interests align with those of IBM, and their academic progress to-date, as evidenced by publications and endorsements from their faculty advisor and department head.
- While students may accept other supplemental fellowships, to be eligible for the IBM PhD Fellowship Award they may not accept a major award in addition to the IBM PhD Fellowship.
- Preference will be given to students who have had an IBM internship or have closely collaborated with technical or services people from IBM.
- The IBM PhD Fellowship Awards program also supports our long-standing commitment to workforce diversity. IBM values diversity in the workplace and encourages nominations of women, minorities and all who contribute to that diversity.
Value and Duration of Fellowship:
- The 2019 two-year IBM PhD Fellowships are awarded worldwide. A fellowship includes a stipend for two academic years (2019-2020 and 2020-2021) and, in the US, an education allowance for year one (2019-2020).
- In the US, fellowship recipients while in school will receive a stipend for living expenses, travel, and to attend conferences ($35,000 for 2019-2020 and $35,000 for 2020-2021). US fellowship recipients will also receive $25,000 toward their education in 2019-2020.
- Outside the US, fellowship recipients while in school will receive a competitive stipend for living expenses, travel, and to attend conferences for the two academic years 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. Fellowship stipends vary by country.
- All IBM PhD Fellowship awardees will be mentored by an IBMer in order to collaborate on a research or technology project for the duration of the award period and are strongly encouraged to do an internship during the first or second year of their award.
Visit the fellowship webpage to access the Nomination form. Interested candidates are advised to read the eligibility requirements and FAQ before applying. IBM PhD Fellowship Awards