Coimbra Group Scholarship Programme For Young African Researchers - Coimbra Group Universities have been providing, since 2008, young researchers from universities in Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to spend a short period (generally 1 to 3 months) at a Coimbra Group University to carry out part of their research there.
The main aim of this scholarship programme is to enable scholars to undertake research in which they are engaged in their home institution and to help them to establish academic and research contacts. The scholarships are financially supported by the Coimbra Group member universities participating in this programme, while the Coimbra Group office is in charge of the administrative management of the applications.
The following Coimbra Group universities are participating in the 2018 edition of the scheme:
- University of Barcelona (Spain)
- Eötvös Loránd University Budapest (Hungary)
- University of Coimbra (Portugal)
- University of Granada (Spain)
- University of Graz (Austria)
- University of Groningen (The Netherlands)
- KU Leuven (Belgium)
- University of Padova (Italy)
- University of Pavia (Italy)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- University of Salamanca (Spain)
- University of Würzburg (Germany)
Eligible Countries: all African countries except Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, and Tunisia.
Eligibility Criteria Coimbra Group Scholarship
- Born on or after 1 January 1973
- Nationals of and current residents in a country in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Current staff members of a university or an equivalent higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa
- of doctoral/postdoctoral or equivalent status although some universities offer grants for Master’s level students
- (please see details in the table below).
In most universities, the language of instruction is that of the country itself, but in many universities, it is possible to use English as the working language.
Application Procedure http://www.coimbra-group.eu/activities/scholarships.
Applicants must fill in the online application form before 16 March 2018 midnight (Brussels time). Candidates will be able to select one university only. Multiple applications will not be considered valid.
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE APPLYING
- Applicants should provide the name and contact details of an academic supervisor in the receiving Coimbra Group University who will supervise their work during their stay abroad. If you do not have any contacts, we suggest you visit the website of your chosen institution or get in touch with the contact person whose email address is indicated in the brochure. The Coimbra Group office is not in the position to provide assistance in this.
- All applicants are requested to provide a letter/e-mail of acceptance (to be submitted together with your application) written by the academic supervisor or the administrative unit of the host university where you would like to carry out the proposed working plan. The letter should state that the supervisor is willing to work with you in case you obtain a Coimbra Group Scholarship.
- Applicants can select one institution only. Multiple applications from the same candidate will be rejected.
- Please fill in your application form only when you have all the data available (i.e. name of and letter of acceptance by a supervisor at Coimbra Group University, etc.). Incomplete applications will be rejected, no exceptions will be made.
- The dates of your stay should be agreed upon between the applicant and the academic supervisor at the Coimbra Group University. Typically this will be during the academic year 2018/2019.