The AAHD Scholarship Committee and AAHD Board of Directors are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2017-18 AAHD Scholarship Program.
On behalf of the board and staff of AAHD, we congratulate the winners and wish them the best of luck in their studies. The 2017-2018 Scholarship Recipients are:
- Hanna Hughes, Concorida University, St. Paul, MN
- Dylan J. Wells, University of Nebraska at Kearney, Kearney, NE
- Lauren L. Barron, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Shaina Ghuraya, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
There were numerous applicants for the scholarships this year, reflecting many fine candidates. AAHD would like to thank the applicants who submitted their applications to the AAHDScholarship Program. We encourage those that were not selected to apply again and wish all of them the best of luck in their studies.
AAHD FREDERICK J. KRAUSE SCHOLARSHIP ON HEALTH AND DISABILITY (2018-2019)
The mission of the American Association on Health and Disability (AAHD) is to contribute to national, state, and local efforts to promote health and wellness in people with disabilities and identify effective intervention strategies that reduce health disparities between people with disabilities and the general population. AAHD accomplishes its mission through research, education and advocacy at the national, state and community level.
The long and distinguished career in disability advocacy and service of Frederick J. Krause began in 1954 when he served as a special education teacher for the Illinois Department of Education. He created a model educational and training curriculum for school aged children with severe intellectual disabilities which became a model for the Nation. Following that, Fred became a Supervising Therapist at the Illinois State School for the Mentally Retarded from 1955-56. Recognizing his leadership abilities, he was promoted to become the Rehabilitation Director of the Illinois Department of Health from 1956-61. From 1961-1969, Fred became the Executive Director of the California Council for Retarded Children, Inc., working to improve the lives of all Californians with intellectual disorders through coordinating the Council’s goals and concerns with the State Government Departments of Rehabilitation, Mental Hygiene, Social Welfare and Youth Authority, and Employment.
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM CRITERIA: The AAHD Frederick J. Krause Scholarship on Health and Disability is awarded annually to a deserving student with a disability who is pursuing undergraduate/graduate studies (must be at least enrolled as a sophomore in college) in an accredited university who is pursuing studies related to the health and disability, to include, but not limited to public health, health promotion, disability studies, disability research, rehabilitation engineering, audiology, disability policy, special education and majors that will impact quality of life of persons with disabilities.
- Applicant must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student and must have completed one full year of college or more. In other words, the applicant must have sophomore or greater status in a program at a college or university pursuing an undergraduate degree; or enrolled part time or full time in a graduate school, pursuing a post-graduate degree.
- Important: applicants who have not yet graduated from high school will not be considered. High school students entering college in the fall of 2018 are NOT eligible to apply. The only exception would be for high school students who have achieved sophomore status via high school AP course credits.
- Applicant must have a disability as defined by the American with Disabilities Act, and must provide documentation to verify this.
- Preference will be given to students majoring in public health, disability studies, health promotion or a field related to disability and health.
- Preference will be given to students with a history of community service and/or volunteer activities.
- Applicant must be a US citizen or legal resident living in the United States and enrolled in an accredited United States university.
FUNDING INFORMATION & APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Funds are limited to under $1,000. The AAHD Board of Directors Scholarship Committee will evaluate each of the applicants and make a decision in December of each calendar year. The 2018-2019 Scholarship Award will be awarded in late January-early February 2019 and will be advised, at that time, by email and/or US mail. It is the discretion of the Scholarship Committee to determine how many scholarships will be awarded each year and the amount of each scholarship. Applications are due November 15, 2018.
- Applicant must provide a Personal Statement (maximum 2 pages, double-spaced), including brief personal history, educational/career goals, extra-curricular activities, and reasons why they should be selected by the AAHD Scholarship Committee. This statement must be written solely by the applicant.
- Applicant must provide two (2) Letters of Recommendation (One must be from a teacher or academic advisor). Letters may be sent by U. S. mail or by email attachment and should include the signature of the teacher or advisor, and the name of the student should appear in the subject line of the email.
- Applicant must provide an official copy of college transcript, which should be mailed to AAHD in a sealed envelope.
- Applicant must have a documented disability and provide documentation of their disability from a specialist (physician, educator, et. al).
- Applicant must agree to allow AAHD to use his/her name, photo and/or story in future scholarship materials.
APPLICATION FORM: AAHDScholarship2018-19
Please attach your application, supporting materials, etc. and email to email@example.com. Type “2018-19 Scholarship” in subject line. (Please use MS Word or PDF for your personal statement and PDF for all other documents that are emailed as attachments). If this is not possible, please mail your documents to:
Only completed applications will be considered and must be postmarked and/or received by email no later than November 15, 2018.
Related Search Terms:
frederick j krause scholarship, aahd, american association on health and disability, frederick krause, healthy usa scholarship, aahd disability, incight, scholarships, disability scholarships, ada scholarships, fibromyalgia scholarships 2017, free scholarship, allegra ford thomas scholarship, hannah heltsley memorial scholarship